Truck drivers should make every effort to make exercise an important part of their lives. Although, truck drivers are extremely busy, they should not ignore their own health. Exercise is important to one’s physical health and mental health. Regardless of your age, size or shape you should make exercise a priority in your life. Men and women should exercise regularly. Exercise at a fitness center, home, outdoors or any other suitable place. Exercise improves one’s health and appearance. It also delays the aging process. Our bodies are meant to move and we suffer the consequences if we don’t exercise. We suffer in numerous ways including the onset of diseases and other health conditions. Check out ten benefits of exercise then make an exercise plan for yourself.
1. Exercise improves overall health: Regular exercise reduces the risk of developing major diseases. Exercise strengthens the heart muscles and helps prevent heart disease and the risk of stroke. It helps with hypertension by reducing blood pressure levels. Exercise reduces body fat and can prevent and help control type 2 diabetes. Exercise reduces the risk of certain types of cancer. Exercise also improves the immune system. Studies have indicated that 30 minutes of exercise for five days a week strengthens the body’s immune system enabling it to resist many illnesses and diseases. If illnesses such as colds, flu or upper respiratory tract infection do manifest, their duration will be shortened. Rebounders also known as mini trampolines allow for a very effective overall workout.
2. Exercise increases energy levels: You may not have 30 minutes to exercise but do what you can. Fifteen minutes of exercise can benefit you and actually make a huge difference in how you feel. It will reduce the risk of fatigue and thereby increase energy levels. Exercise not only increases energy levels, but it also increases stamina and improves strength levels in the body.
3. Exercise helps with weight loss: It is a well-known fact that the majority of truck drivers suffer with overweight issues. One of the hazards of truck driving is that drivers are seated behind the wheel for the majority of each day and have limited opportunities to exercise. That’s why it is important to take advantage of opportunities to exercise. Of course it is important to eat healthy foods and avoid overeating to lose weight. However, regular exercise can make a huge difference in any weight loss program. It will enable you to lose body fat and enable you to avoid putting on excess body fat in the future. Furthermore, exercise allows you to lose body fat as opposed to losing muscle.
4. Exercise helps reduce back pain: Strengthening abdominal and lower back muscles can help prevent and reduce levels of back pain. If you are suffering with back pain you should seek treatment and the advice of your health practitioner before engaging in exercises. Exercise increases muscle strength and endurance. It also improves posture and flexibility. Exercises generally considered to be safe include aerobic exercises, strengthening exercises and stretching exercises. Some exercises to avoid as they can aggravate back pain include bent leg sit-ups or partial sit-ups, lifting both legs simultaneously while lying flat on your back.
5. Exercise helps reduce knee pain: Knees are subject to a lot of wear and tear. Exercises which stretch and strengthen the knees are very beneficial. Exercises which strengthen the muscles around the joint helps decreases stress on the knees. This helps to protect joints from injury. Check with your health practitioner for specific exercises for your condition.
6. Exercise strengthens bones: Both men and women begin to lose bone mass beginning around the age of 35. Strength training exercises and weight-bearing endurance (cardio) exercise should be performed three to five days per week. Walking and running are weight bearing exercises which help to keep bones strong. Exercises are important which specifically strengthen the bones involved in the exercise.
7. Exercise improves brain function: Exercise, particularly aerobic exercise has a very beneficial effect on the brain. It increases heart rate which pumps more oxygen to the brain. This aids in providing a nourishing environment for the growth of brain cells. This can be achieved with as little as 20 minutes of exercise. Regular exercise can also help prevent dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
8. Exercise improves mood: Chemicals which are released during a workout cause anxiety and stress levels to diminish. It can also reduce levels of depression. Many people actually feel a sense of euphoria after an especially vigorous workout such as running or competitive sports.
9. Exercise improves quality of sleep: Exercise can enable you to sleep much sounder and longer at night. It will also enable you to feel more awake during the day. The important thing is to try to exercise in the morning or afternoon for best results as rigorous nighttime exercise can interfere with sleep.
10. Exercise increases longevity: Research has shown that people who exercise for a minimum of 150 minutes doing moderate to vigorous workouts increase their life expectancy of approximately 3.4 to 4.5 years more than those that don’t exercise.
Exercises which should be done on a regular basis include:
- Aerobic exercise to condition heart and other muscles.
- Strengthening exercises which focus on strengthening muscles on back, stomach and leg muscles.
- Stretching exercises help to keep muscles and other supporting tissues flexible. This helps to make them strong and less prone to injury.
All people are different. It is important to always check with your health practitioner before beginning an exercise program. This will enable you to get an exercise program specifically tailored to your specific needs and health condition.