Landstar Trucking is the 3rd largest trucking company in the United States. Headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida, Landstar serves the United States, Canada and Mexico. Landstar is a non-asset based provider of transportation services. Landstar does not hire company drivers but hires owner-operators instead. Landstar has been working with independent contractors for over 20 years. Landstar is an ideal company for drivers wishing to own and operate their own trucking companies. Landstar is known for being a 100% non-forced dispatch trucking. This means that drivers can choose their own routes and loads. They can work when they want to work and be off when they want to be off. They can choose to work the entire United States or choose to restrict their loads to specific regions of their choice.
A Landstar driver is also referred to as a Business Capacity Owner (BCO). Drivers must meet minimum qualifications to work as a Landstar Driver. Landstar Carrier Groups require drivers to at least have basic qualifications as follows:
- Drivers must be at least 23 years old.
- Drivers must have a Class A CDL with HazMat (H) or combination (X) endorsement.
- Drivers must be able to read, write and speak the English language sufficiently to be able to converse with the general public and public officials. They must also be able to read and understand traffic signs, signals, etc. Also, they must be able to write pertinent information on various reports including log books and other records.
- Drivers must have a minimum of one year verifiable actual driving experience within the past three years or three years verifiable driving experience within the last ten years, of which six months must be within the previous 48 months , using similar equipment that you intend to operate at Landstar.
- Drivers must have no more than three moving violations within the past three years and a maximum of one excessive speeding violation of 15 or more miles within the past three years.
- Drivers must not be at fault in any DOT recordable accidents within the past twelve months.
- Drivers must not have had a DUI or DWI within the past five years and no felony convictions within the past seven years.
- Drivers must not have had their driver’s license suspended over thirty 30 days within the past three years for reckless or careless driving.
- Drivers must not have any positive drug and/or alcohol test results from testing performed by the applicant’s previous employers or lease carriers.
Drivers are being sought as follows:
- Van Drivers for general freight
- Reefer Drivers for temperature controlled freight
- Flatbed Drivers are needed for step deck and flatbed services
- Heavy Haul Services for oversized or heavy freight
- Specialized trailers such as double drop,removable goosenecks,extendable and multi-axels
- Tanker Drivers for liquids such as gasoline, crude oil,diesel fuel, dry bulk and milk
Landstar has over 1,000 agencies in the United States which post loads on loadboards. These loadboards are operated by independent 3rd party logistics providers. Drivers once approved by Landstar can set up a registered user account to select and manage loads. This requires drivers to select their own User ID and Password to access the loads. Drivers can choose to haul for one agency or many agencies. Pertinent information on the loads is posted such as the type of freight, plus the pick-up and delivery times and locations. The rates are also posted or drivers may be able to negotiate rates.
Landstar is a financially stable company. Landstar pays drivers a rate of pay based on a percentage of what the loads pay and has an excellent reputation of paying drivers on time. The percentage can vary based on the type of freight hauled. Landstar also provides insurance for drivers. Drivers with good driving records and a history of being punctual are welcome to apply at Landstar. Many drivers have enjoyed good careers with Landstar.